Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why does cold weather make me want to bake?

That is the question of the day!  I don't know the reason but recently I have been in the baking mood.  It must be the fact that I am stuck inside my toasty warm house all day long and have run out of things to keep my 3 year old entertained.  So this past weekend I went a little crazy!  It all started when I was trying to think of something to do for my friend Amy who just had a new baby boy.  I had already bought a gift but wanted to take a little something more.  I didn't want to do a full dinner because I am a little worried about whether or not they would like it, so I decided to do what a friend had done for me a number of years ago after I had my second baby.  So I dug through my recipe book to find a recipe for Cinnamon buns.  The title actually says Cinnabon's so I am guessing that it is pretty close to the actual recipe used by them.  I promised Amy I would share so here it is for all of you to enjoy!  I don't know how long they lasted at her house but the pan I made here didn't even last a day!

Cinnabon's

1 1/2 Tablespoons Yeast
4 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups Hot Water
1/4 Cup Oil
5 Cups Flour
1 Egg

Combine Sugar, Water, Oil, 2 Cups of Flour, Egg and Salt in large bowl or mixer. Add yeast and let set for 1 minute.  Add remaining 3 Cups of Flour.  Let rise till double in size.

Roll out on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and 2 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide. Spread with 3/4 Cup of Butter or Margarine.  Top with mixture of  3/4 Cups of Brown Sugar and 1/4 Cup of Cinnamon.  Roll into long tube.  Cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces using thread or dental floss.  Place 1 inch apart in pan lined with wax paper.  Let rise till touching.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes till brown.

Ice Immediately
1 Package Cream Cheese 8oz.
1 Cup Butter or Margarine
4 Cups Icing Sugar   (Powdered Sugar for all my American readers)
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
Drop of Lemon Juice  ( I use around 1/4 Teaspoon)

Eat until full!

My kids won't stop asking for them so this may have to be a regular on our Breakfast or Dessert menu from here on out!

3 comments:

Amy said...

They were gone a.s.a.p., soooo yummy! Thanks again for making them for us and spoiling Jake and I. And thanks for the recipe! Jess, you're awesome, I really appreciate you and your friendship.

Mary said...

These were so delicious. I have this longstanding opinion that cinnamon buns are the world's most disappointing food because they smell like the yummiest thing in the universe and only taste....good.

Yours though...yours delivered.

Jen said...

Jessie! Church is cancelled today because of the weather and snow, so guess what? I think I'll try these out! Thanks!